mayon_close

Mt. Mayon up close

Mt. Mayon from the plane's window

I really never tire of Mt. Mayon. I’ve seen her with her lava flows, or from the beautiful vantage point at the Embarcadero. Heck, I even consider Legazpi City airport as the airport with the best view in the world because of her! Years ago, while enroute to Cebu from Manila, the lady from afar is just beautiful. But never have I gone this close!

During a flight from Albay back to Manila, I was just fortunate enough that the morning was beautiful and thus, leaving Mt. Mayon exposed. As the plane passed closer and closer, I was just so enthralled of seeing it up close in the air, its trail of smoke billowing from its maw. Unfortunately, it was backlit as the sun was at the opposite side but still good enough to cast a dramatic image as well as show its gulleys.

Beautiful Mt. Mayon always intrigues!

1. neldeleon
    May 29, 2011 @ 15:00

Majestic! I had a glimpse of Mt. Mayon through a plane window, too, but it was too far. I snapped a shot anyway; it was exciting. 🙂

2. Leave the cube
    May 29, 2011 @ 22:53

I envy you to have come that close to Mt.Mayon… hehe… Your picture loks very nice, especially the traces of lava flows 🙂

3. Pompo
    May 31, 2011 @ 8:44

Awesome!!!

4. Vernon Go
    February 22, 2012 @ 16:43

wen I saw the pic, I thought you rode a helicopter or sumting; a rare shot from a plane indeed!

5. » Bulusan volcano up close | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    February 22, 2012 @ 16:52

[…] Northern Samar to Manila yesterday, I had the best view of the volcano’s crater. Like Mt. Mayon last year, up […]

6. Pinoy Adventurista
    February 23, 2012 @ 10:25

i also had a close encounter with Mayon last year… truly an amazing sight!

7. » Taal Volcano in the morning | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    March 12, 2012 @ 1:43

[…] morning flights are always welcome. From great views of Mt. Mayon or even Mt. Bulusan, active volcanoes in the Philippines, to this small but another active rumbler […]