mayon_erupt_main

Mayon Volcano is acting up

A mini eruption back in July 2006 when I specifically visited Legazpi City for this event.

Beautiful Mayon Volcano as seen from the plane during an early morning flight.

Beautiful Mayon Volcano as seen from the plane during an early morning flight.

Recent news reports are abuzz with the impending eruption of the graceful maiden, Mt. Mayon in Albay as Philvocs (Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology) has monitored the build up of magma to the volcano’s crater. There is also an increase of earthquakes being recorded and alert level 2 has already been raised. If ever it will erupt, the town of Sto. Domingo and the city of Legazpi is in danger.

Volcanic eruption. When it acted up way back in 2006, I visited Legazpi City to witness this beautiful but deadly event. Seeing it’s glowing lava cascading down its slope struck me. It was like watching a National Geographic or Discovery Channel presentation but this time, I was at the riverside in Bigaa with my camera on a tripod hoping to get a spectacular shot despite typhoon Henry hovering above.

It was just awesome. Spectacular and breathaking. A few important seconds when the rain clouds parted to give me an unhindered view and enough time to take a long exposure before it started to rain.

This is another good opportunity to watch an eruption first hand but, for those who plan to go there, caution should always be exercised and being aware of developments and advisories should be done always.

PHILVOCS is predicting a more violent eruption this time.

1. oman
    July 14, 2009 @ 10:35

how cud somethin’ so beautiful be so dangerous.

2. Nomadic Pinoy
    July 14, 2009 @ 18:14

You must have loads of patience waiting to capture such a great shot of a deadly beauty. Mobalik pa ka didto?

July 14, 2009 @ 18:37

@oman, its a volcano 🙂

@nomadic pinoy, bai, tanawn pa nako kung makabalik ko kay I’m still here in Cebu wrapping up a book project. I’ll be back probably end of the month but once the World Press Photo 2009 exhibit will open on 1 August, basi di ko pwede mo dalikyat kay I will be doing a guided tour for visitors 🙂

4. Fine Life Folk
    July 15, 2009 @ 4:21

It’s bad enough that I haven’t visited the place. Oh well, go shoot that impending destruction, so that I can see something or what’s going to be its last few weeks…

5. Technochase
    July 16, 2009 @ 11:07

Ganda naman ng picture! More power!

6. Sidney
    July 19, 2009 @ 20:52

Hi Estan,

Will be back in Manila around August 03.
    Please text me when you do the guided tours… might try to join one.

Best regards,
    Sidney

7. Dennis
    July 29, 2009 @ 21:30

Bay I notice in one of your travels here that you lug with you a huge bag. Kung sa photomaking naa rule of thirds sa travel naa pod rule of three – One to wash, one to wear and one for spare.

Ayo ayo!

July 29, 2009 @ 22:53

Dennis, thanx for the comment. I used my backpack when I did the Luzon – Visayas – Luzon loop since I was coming home for the holidays for about a month and had to bring some stuff for the family as well as some photo work. When I do real travel, I pack as light as possible.

9. Preparing for a Christmas bus trip to Cebu | langyaw
    December 23, 2009 @ 2:15

[…] the Samar-Leyte leg via Bicol and the Masbate route via Pilar, Sorsogon. These, especially that Mt. Mayon is nearing eruption, expected to be bigger than what I have experienced a few years ago, is too appealing but on the […]

10. » Mt. Mayon up close | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    May 29, 2011 @ 13:46

[…] really never tire of Mt. Mayon. I’ve seen her with her lava flows, or from the beautiful vantage point at the Embarcadero. Heck, I even consider Legazpi City airport […]