calayan_sojourn_1

Calayan sojourn

Beautiful coast of Calayan near Cibang Cove

Calayan Is. in red

I’ve always wanted to visit the Babuyanes, a group of islands off the coast of Luzon and just below Batanes. It consists of the municipality of Calayan with Babuyan Claro, Camiguin Norte (as opposed that of Camiguin in Mindanao), the two are volcanic, Calayan and Dalupiri islands while Fuga, a private island belongs politically under Aparri.

I was on assignment in Calayan Island in the Babuyanes and in between, I got to enjoy this piece of paradise this part of the Philippines. It’s so out of the way, with travel very much dependent on the status of the Babuyan Channel where for most part of the year, can be very trecherous. Couple this with uncertain travel days and you’ve got a place that is so off the beaten path.

Fortunately, my former company where I worked for quite a number of years contacted me if I want to visit the place and cover (photograph and write about) their program in Calayan and, without hesitation, I said yes. It was an opportunity to finally realize my dream of visiting the Babuyanes, where so few bloggers have gone to.

It’s not an easy travel, for both ways. But once you’re there and get to visit Cibang Cove, just be prepared to be enthralled and enchanted. For a few days, I was there. One of the most unforgettable moments of my traveling life.

1. marky
    June 12, 2011 @ 13:36

Way off the beaten path indeed. More pictures please 🙂

June 12, 2011 @ 13:41

@marky, succeeding posts 🙂

3. EDMARATION
    June 12, 2011 @ 16:22

=> hi sir, I am really an avid fan of your blog and I can’t prevent my self from not commenting, hehehe… It is just so amazing that you travel because of work. That’s my dream job! And Calayan! OH God! Really wanna go here “if only” I have the means. hehe..

4. Cedric
    June 12, 2011 @ 18:12

Well worth it naman pala yung sunburn eh. hehe.

5. edmaration
    June 12, 2011 @ 19:37

=> P.S. Sir I hope you don’t mind but I just want to ask if you are using the wordpress platform?

June 13, 2011 @ 0:00

@ed, yup, wordpress. and you should go to calayan 🙂
    @cedric, yup yup 🙂

7. » Ennui and how to be roasted like a pig | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    June 13, 2011 @ 10:14

[…] joke and it was just freakin’ exasperating. Not even my excitement of finally coming to these fabled group of islands in the Babuyanes can make me smile anymore. I was just so bored and helpless. We all […]

8. Paul
    June 17, 2011 @ 8:39

GREAT! though it’s not easy to travel but it’s feel great to get that way. Awesome Trip. Want to visit Calayan and Dalupiri, and waqnt to feel the same you.

June 17, 2011 @ 15:41

@paul, thanx for the comment. I saw Dalupiri and it is mainly deforested. I’m more inclined to visit Babuyan Claro and Camiguin Norte 🙂

10. » Near drama at the Babuyan Channel | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    June 19, 2011 @ 21:54

[…] hours and thirty minutes earlier, four of us were saying our goodbyes to friends at the beach of Calayan Island while boarding the small lampitaw (motorized pump boat). The morning was sunny and the sea was […]

11. » Cibang Cove, a glimpse of heaven | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    June 21, 2011 @ 15:55

[…] to do the assignment. I had no qualms doing it. In fact, the first time I heard that it will be in Calayan Island, the Babuyanes, my eyes lit up, and heard hosannas in the […]

12. » Personal thoughts on my Calayan sojourn | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    June 27, 2011 @ 12:09

[…] Calayan Islands (or the Babuyanes) has that appeal to the adventure traveler: forlorn, so out of the way, limited […]

13. rurouniaki
    April 6, 2013 @ 21:44

nice nice nice. going to aparri this may, i hope the sea permits our voyage