Iâ€™m tracing my travel history from 1974 up to the present. This post is 4th of 5 in the series.
I just can’t explain it. But it seems I cannot just keep put in Cebu. After three years working in my home province, I felt that I need to move out again. When the mobile switch in the telecoms company that I worked in opened in Davao, I was the first one to be assigned there as I volunteered. Nevermind if I don’t have family there. I thought, if I made it in Manila for five years without the next of kin then there was no difference with Davao.
In my four years in Mindanao, I spent half and half in Davao and Cagayan de Oro cities
- Except for places beyond Tigbao in Zamboanga del Sur and Basilan, I have visited each and every province either for work or liesure.
- I made my first and only visit to Siargao and Bucas Grande
- no longer collecting butterflies, I switched to collecting beetles and often frequented Lake Sebu in South Cotabato, Davao del Norte, Misamis Oriental and Bukidnon where I had contacts
Being based in Mindanao did not hinder me in going out to more far and remote places:
- visited Vigan and Laoag for the first time and eventually, a second visit was a bus trip around North Luzon by starting in Manila on to Ilocos where I collected in Pagudpud and Adams for a few days then continued to Cagayan Valley where I stayed overnight in Tuguegarao and went for a cruise in the Pinacanauan River then back to Manila
- my first Palawan “tourist” visit during a company outing
- Baler in Aurora was rather disappointing because of the bad weather
- instead of going to Vietnam where birdflu was making its impact there, I opted instead to go to Batanes for a week
After four years in Mindanao, time came for another change. My amour got murdered in Cagayan de Oro and when an offer to be assigned in Makati was dangled at me, I took it.
Check a summary of my travel history.