The Geronimo Berenguer de los Reyes, Jr. Museum, (GBR Museum) is one of those small, privately funded but very interesting museums that can be found in the country. For lovers of Philippine history, Philippine archival photographs, historical images, aviation, model planes, rare books, maps, prints and historical documents, this is the perfect place to get lost at.
Situated inside the Gateway Business Park in General Trias, Cavite, the museum and art collection was conceptualized by Mr. de los Reyes more than 25 years ago and now managed by the GBR Foundation that seeks to
…preserve and make accessible for this and future generations the Philippines’ rich and vibrant national heritage.
The museum has the following areas:
- A monument and detailed account of the Cavite Mutiny of 1872 at the museum entrance
- Museum lobby and hallway with works of arts by internationally acclaimed Filipino artists
- Pavilion A houses 19th century photographs of Albert Honiss and Manuel Arias Rodriguez
- Pavilion B, the Underwood and Underwood Archives from 1898-1905, and 19th and 20th century photographs
- Pavilion C, collection of different model aircrafts and paintings on aviation history
- Pavilion D, features modern commercial and military aircraft models and images of vehicles used for space exploration, and
- Pavilion E, American period images in the Philippines, World War II, liberation and peacetime, and images of the Philippines as the first republic in Asia
The rare books, maps and prints section is, however, restricted, owing to the nature of its preservation as well as security. It is only opened on special occasions.
My fave? I really enjoyed looking around Pavilion A with lots of interesting Philippine church and building archicture images of which many are now gone. They even have a blown up image of National Hero Jose Rizal’s execution in Bagumbayan (now Luneta). And of course, the various plane models as well as select maps that were hung around the hallway.
Do check GBR Museum out! It’s really very educational and enriches the soul.
Thanx to Microtal Inns and Suites by Wyndham at EagleRidge for touring me around this part of Cavite.
Gateway Business Park
Gen. Trias, Cavite
Cavite 046-4330313 or 046-4330021
Manila (632) 892-2916