bump_1

Sorry, we just bumped you off your flight…

Voucher for free roundtrip ticket (base fare only) as consuelo de bobo

We’re really sorry sir but your flight is fully booked now and we can no longer accommodate you…

The check-in counter attendant was politely telling me that I was just bumped off of my flight (Manila-Cebu) because of an overbooking. Technical problems with a previous flight was the said culprit and they have to accommodate passengers. They will only accommodate me the first flight next day, 0430H.

Wow. In my entire life at airports, I’ve finally experienced being bumped off a booked flight which I paid for a few days ago. Shit happens.

I would have raised hell upon being told that but wait, sweeteners were lined up and I took the bait.

As a way of making it up to you sir, we would be happy to provide you a round trip ticket to any domestic destination of Cebu Pacific and a travel allowance of P500 to cover your transportation from and to the airport. If you have no place to stay here, Sir, we will gladly accommodate you at Palm Plaza in Malate with free dinner and airport transfers. If you will avail of the latter, the P500 is forfeited.

Yeah, Krispy Kreme as top pasalubong item today

Well, well, sweet enough and for a very peripatetic person and a travel blogger, free tickets to any place in the country is always appreciated. I feigned being a visitor in Manila and took the hotel booking. And thanks to the two ladies who accommodated me, they were very friendly and helpful with my questions. Sorry, forgot to get your names.

Now this is just sweet, as sweet as the caloric overload of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that I brought as pasalubong to a friend and family. Nevermind the slight inconveniences.

1. Bugoy
    July 8, 2011 @ 13:34

hahahahahaha. win-win deal yan bai! sana ma bump-off ulet ko! yong tipong international. 🙂

2. bertN
    July 8, 2011 @ 15:06

I have never been bumped off a flight yet but I was once on a connecting flight to Los Angeles from Chicago when prior to take off, the stewardess asked for 4 volunteers to give up their seats and take the next flight out in the morning. It was free hotel accommodation and meals plus $200 cash. Nobody volunteered. When the cash offer was raised to $400, they got more volunteers than needed.

July 8, 2011 @ 16:15

@bugoy, bertn, basta okay ang freebie, may kakagat 🙂

4. Aleah | Solitary Wanderer.com
    July 8, 2011 @ 23:02

Well, I would be thoroughly pissed off as most of my flights are business-related. Free flights no longer impress me since I always get them cheap haha

5. BPS
    July 9, 2011 @ 7:26

Kahit ako siguro lalamig ang ulo pag me ganung pakunswelo, unless masisira ng todo ang itinerary, e.g. may connecting flights at naghahabol ng ferry trips etc.

6. Chris
    July 11, 2011 @ 9:39

Bumped from a flight you already had a ticket for!? That’s insane.

Helluva nice sweetener though.

July 11, 2011 @ 12:19

@aleah, @BPS that’s a different thing if you’re having connecting flights.

@chris, the tendency of airlines usually overbook since there are instances wherein the passengers don’t show up. Unfortunately, all showed up this time.

8. Dylan
    July 11, 2011 @ 15:01

A sweet bump indeed! Kudos to Cebu Pacific for showing excellent customer service.

Also, you’ve got a nice blog layout Estan! Very clean and eye friendly. 🙂

July 11, 2011 @ 17:11

Dylan, yup, and thanx 🙂

10. Mindanaoan
    July 19, 2011 @ 11:56

Ay I wouldn’t mind getting bumped off if I get a sweet deal like this 😀