Last night, I booked a flight from Manila to Bangkok. Since it was within the promo sale period, one way only costs P3,299 and that’s already a bargain considering that other airlines that I checked for an August flight, from Air Asia to others via Skyscanner, the minimum was already P5,000+! But P3,299 is still expensive. I said to myself, “I’m sure there’s another way to spend less.” When I checked my available Cebu Pacific GetGo miles, I smiled.
I’m a peripatetic traveler and usually fly around the country or abroad. Although I usually try to get the best fare available, I’ve been flying frequently with Cebu Pacific especially if going to or heading from Terminal 3 as it’s quite convenient for me. Terminal 2 and 4 is just too difficult with the traffic while in Terminal 3, I’m just near the Skyway which let me evade traffic as much as possible.
Being a frequent flyer of Cebu Pacific, I immediately registered for their GetGo frequent flyer card when it was offered. I used to have Mabuhay Miles several years ago and I know the benefits of accumulating points for free flights (they now have an improved program and I’ve also applied). Once I was registered, I then requested for the personalized card which was delivered to my home. I went through all my Cebu Pacific flights and made a claim for the previous valid flights. With that and frequent flying, I grew my points to 10,000+ in a little more than a year.
When I booked the Manila-Bangkok flight for August, instead of spending P3,299+, I just redeemed my points. The year round fare is 23,000+ points but since there was a promo fare, it was just around 9,000+. A fee of almost around P700 was charged to cover the web administration fee and some minimal charges.
Things to remember about the GetGo Frequent Flyer Miles membership:
- Register with GetGo here. From the registration page, you can request for a personalized card. Even if the card hasn’t arrived yet, you can input your GetGo membership number when booking a flight or availing of discounts from partner establishments
- You can also register by filling out a form at the airport where there is a GetGo kiosk or personnel offering this to passengers but you only get a generic card
- For every P5 spent when booking, you get 1 point
- If you availed of the special GetGo debit and credit card with partner bank Unionbank, you get additional points whenever you use it for purchases with partner establishments (see details here)
- You can use your GetGo card for discounts with partner establishments from as much as 65% off in hotels or 10% off in purchases (see details here)
- You can convert points from partner establishments to GetGo points (see details here)
- You can add unclaimed points as long as your flight is not more than six months from time of claiming (see details here)
- You travel with friends or family, check out how the Earning Circle can help you (see details here)
- and finally, you already have the points and ready to redeem for flights? Do it here. A new window will open.
- If your points is not sufficient, don’t worry, you can pay the balance with cash.
Register now and fly for free!