dragon

Burgos’s dragon fruit sold in Baguio

The dragon fruit (genus Hylocereus) is also grown in the Philippines. This red dragon fruit is from Burgos, Ilocos Norte

Its pink and roundish and these days, Baguio’s central market is awash with this strange fruit. Sold at 50-60 pesos per kilo, these fruits of cacti from the genus Hylocereus, which is primarily an American species but is now cultivated in several Asian countries, came all the way from Burgos, Ilocos Norte! The town is making it as their One Town, One Product (OTOP) project.

The fruit, usually with the white pulp, is seen in supermarkets in the country, usually coming from Vietnam and sold at more than a hundred pesos per kilo. With this Burgos product, it’s really great that its cheaper for such a fruit loaded with vitamins and minerals. In Davao, the yellow variety, which is smaller, has bigger seeds but sweeter is also cultivated.

1. Nomadic Samuel
    September 18, 2012 @ 13:31

Dragon fruit is certainly interesting! The first time I tried it I was expecting something sweeter. I’ve grown to like it over time 🙂

2. estancabigas
    September 18, 2012 @ 15:42

i really like this fruit. but the yellow ones are better since sweeter 🙂

3. » Interesting fruits at Baguio’s public market | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    October 8, 2012 @ 16:25

[…] was expecting the dragon fruits from Burgos, Ilocos Norte but what greeted me were the ones imported from Thailand. Too expensive. So I went around . There […]

4. Noypistuff
    October 28, 2012 @ 8:05

I saw it at a mall and tried it. It does not taste bad at all. I only tasted the pink one. I did not know it has another variety. I wanna try that, too. Great photo, by the way… 😀

5. estancabigas
    October 28, 2012 @ 8:43

thanx! you should try the yellow one too. sweeter 🙂

6. » 25 days out in September 2012 | Langyaw: Sojourns and Off-the-Beaten Path Travels
    November 14, 2012 @ 12:50

[…] terrain, I was just amazed. Steep ridges, pine clad inclines and snaking rivers are such sights! Dragon fruit from Burgos, Ilocos Norte was also abundant in the […]